Humanity at Work – A Statistical Picture

humanity at work

How does humanity at work function? What can a company do to improve their humanity at work? In this post, we will take a look at this matter. Contemporary statistics on the global labor market refer – at least implicitly – to a conceptual apparatus derived from the reality of the labor market in industrialized countries during the “golden age of capitalism”. At that time, the formal employment contract was still – at the same time – a statistical norm and a global normative standard. In recent decades, this normative standard still holds, but the reality of the labor market has changed, including in developed countries.

From the Working Age Population to the Labor Force

The recent report Working for a Better Future by the independent Global Commission on the Future of Work under the auspices of the International Labor Organization also failed to draw a sharp, substantive distinction between the real world of work in today’s world and the otherwise well-founded – the normative aspiration to ensure that everyone benefits from a formal employment contract [2].

The purpose of this short text is to extend the perspective beyond the narrowly defined “labor market” and suggest, based on existing statistics, broad respect by answering the question: “Where does humanity work?” This will be achieved in four steps: first, by offering a different view of ‘labor’, second, by deepening the concept of informality, third, by extending the concept of work beyond its current statistical concept, and finally, fourth, by presenting global estimates.

According to the globally established statistical definition, “working age” begins at 15 and ends at death. This broad definition circumvents differences between countries regarding education and pension regulations, if any. According to our estimates, based on the statistics of the International Labor Organization, the world’s “working age population” is about 5.5 billion people, i.e. 75% of the total population of the Earth.

This “working-age population” (i.e. people over 15 years of age) is then statistically divided into two categories: “labor force” (62% of the total at the world level) and “out of the labor force” (the remaining 38%). In this regard, country-specific differences in education systems and retirement ages play a major role, as do income inequalities.

Statistics at this blog post were taken from here.

Empactivo on Humanity at Work

Empactivo is a terrific software for improving the employee experience, and it may help businesses be more humane places to work. This software was developed to aid businesses in fostering a positive work environment by giving workers a voice in matters of company policy. By using Empactivo, staff members can speak out for what they need without worrying about repercussions. To further aid in the process of increasing employee engagement, productivity, and work happiness, this software also aids HR managers in identifying employee needs and issues. Using Empactivo, businesses can foster a more welcoming and supportive workplace, which in turn may boost employee satisfaction, morale, and productivity. If your company is serious about fostering a more humane environment for its employees, Empactivo is a must-have tool.

Comments are closed.